Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Signed Up for THIS??!

Today, L was being a bit feisty. Of course, it was only today. He's a perfect little angel all other days...He went to play with friends and had such a blast. Then we came home to fix lunch.
"L, please pick out the color plate you want for lunch."
"NEVER!"
I fix lunch. He feels he can pick out his plate. He accidentally gets two. Not what his plan was. He throws one down in the middle of the floor in disgust (thank heavens for plastic!).
Sweetly, "L, Put your plate away, and then you can have lunch."
"NEVER!"
He comes scowling to the table for his lunch. The extra plate still lies in the middle of the floor. Sweet sternness, "Please put the plate away, and then come eat lunch."
"NEVER EVER!"
Sweetness gone, firmly stern in it's place. "L, you won't get lunch until that plate is put away. Just put it away and come eat."
"NEVER EVER AGAIN!" comes out a bit loud--dare I say, screamed?!? Other things are tossed off the table (again...thank heavens for plastic) O.K, sweetness so out the door. L gets a trip to the chair for cool down time which then progresses to his bedroom as the carrying on goes into full tantrum mode.
So think I, "I signed up for this? I'm suppose to know how to help this little guy get through this. In every instance? This is Motherhood?"
Then out comes little feisty man still upset, but less so. He plops himself down by that darn plate. He glances at me. I pretend I'm just eating my lunch though I'm secretly watching this intriguing little being out the corner of my eye. He makes sure I'm not watching and puts the plate away. He runs over with a big grin, picks up the other things he threw in his anger. We hug, great, big, full-of-love hug. We smile at each other. We talk about our different feelings and what helps with those feelings.


So, yes, I signed up for this. This is Motherhood. I don't have all the answers, or even very many, but I'm trying again and again, each and every day. HE is worth it. Every bit!

8 comments:

Lana said...

Sounds like you did awesome. I really appriciate your example of sweetness with your children, and your care and love and faith in R.S.

I have a good life said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I need to hear that as I deal with LD and his hitting. Yuck. And, "Yes," we both signed up for this motherhood stuff...and aren't we blessed?

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Good job Mom cooling off is such a blessing to both Mom and child:)d

Natalie said...

What a great way to handle the situation. Keep up your good work.
Love n' hugs.

Colleen said...

Thanks for this blog! What wonderful patience you have! Sometimes, I can't wait for it to be Jackson's bedtime and then when he is asleep, I miss him and want to go cuddle up with him in his bed cuz he just looks so angelic and snuggly. He is just now starting to throw some major temper tantrums, so I'll keep reading your blog so I'll know what to do. ;)

The Tall and Short of it said...

You are so awesome!!! Way to stuck to your guns! I have been having a hard time not throwing a tantrum when Bay does!!!! LOL No really!

Alison said...

Way to go! Somedays are really had, but always worth it.

Kathy said...

Wow this almost made me cry. I def have been there. Well, I miss relief society and seeing your quiet example. Thanks for your post so I can know what is going on in your life.