Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dirt, Weeds, and Sweat

It's only taken 6 years.  It's only taken try after try after try.  It's only taken lots of sweat from a gal who has been known as "Never Sweat." It's only taken half-eaten, almost-ripe-and-ready to harvest veggies, detective work, and a dead possum/rat. It's only taken some manure. And compost. And water. And lots of prayer.  But finally today we had HARVEST from our garden!  AND it is even enough to eat!  As a meal. And come away a little full!

Tonight the kiddos and I went out to the garden to pick green beans, gaze at the growing zucchini, curse the birds trying to eat my tomatoes, and dig up the potatoes.  I was amazed when we came away with a bunch.  A. and I squealed like excited kids at Christmas whenever we found a potato in the dirt. It was SO exciting!

Now I hope it keeps growing, growing, growing in our heat. The weeds don't seem to have a problem.

3 comments:

ColleenandKendra said...

Those potatoes look delicious! Congrats! My yard includes a hound dog that would eat my harvest if I gardened!!!

nikko said...

YAY! That's so exciting!!!

At first I thought it said, "the weeds aren't a problem" and I wanted to know what your secret was. ;o)

I have a good life said...

AWESOME!!!!!