Friday, September 21, 2012

A+ School

I should be writing my talk for church on Sunday, but the brain is drawing blank.  So I'll write about my kiddos' schools.  I really, really like our elementary school.  The teachers are so dedicated, professional, and kind.  They emphasize the joy of learning, rather than the drudgery of worksheets and dread of state tests! My boys come home excited each day with what they are learning. Even my X-man, who has been less than enthusiastic about school in the past, is excited!  He is applying to be principal for a day during Career week. He'll even get an "interview" with the principal. There are laptops and IPods for classroom movie making and learning activities in each classroom. Every two grade levels have access to a computer lab. There is a MUSIC teacher with a music class and instruments for the WHOLE year. There is an ART teacher for the WHOLE year.  They have a morning program every Friday where the whole school cheers for students' accomplishments. The principal is outside directing traffic AND smiling!  She visits classrooms. She's visible and working for the students!  She's personable and approachable.

Students eat in a cafe with round tables rather than the regimented rows of tables in a cafeteria. Teachers expect good manners and quiet conversation.

Volunteering is easy! Last year I was begging and pleading and emailing and then bugging to be able to help. This year I've been able to work in the workroom laminating, help the librarian with shelving, and assist the school nurse with vision testing just by signing up! There is a mentor program. It's awesome. Anyway, I'm gushing, but I'm very glad for this school. You probably have a school that does this, but we didn't and oh! how I appreciate our new school. Of course, the middle school and high school are nice, but my heart is the heart of an elementary teacher.

O.k. guess I'd better go write a talk.

3 comments:

Meg said...

That is so great! Have you read Wonder by RJ Palacio? She has a website and doing a Be Kind campaign. I'm trying get all my old schools/teachers (that are still working) get involved in sharing Wonder with the students. Great thing to honor Craniofacial Acceptance/Awareness Month and also anti-bullying awareness.

Steve and Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve and Denise said...

That sounds like a fantastic school! I'm glad to see there are still good schools out there with teachers that really care.