Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School and Letting Go.


Yesterday was the first day of school for ALL my children.  That day has always seemed so distant. I can't believe it is here. B. and A. were excited and nervous for the rigors of middle school, but came home feeling much more at ease. Middle school was not going to be torture. In fact, it might even be a little fun!  X-man was actually excited to go to school which is really something, since he usually bemoans school days.  He was glad he knew some of the other kids in his class.


 L. was so cute going to kindergarten. He found his little table and sat quietly. He came home, telling me about the 5 rules and how there's a stop light system of red, yellow, and green (for behavior). If he stays on green all week, he can pick something from THE TREASURE BOX!!!!  (That's just how he said it)

And me? I did very well this first day of no kiddos. I even dropped everyone off with minimal tears. I was so glad my friend Tina let me hang out with her cute boys and her. We had smoothies, went to a bookstore to look around, and ended with McDonald's and the play area. While the boys played, we chatted. It was just what I needed. Then I came home and was AMAZED at what I could get done without interruptions.  WOW!

Today is a little more quiet. It'll take getting use to, but I'm sure I will in no time. So funny that I had to get use to having kids, and now I have to get use to having kids gone. Letting go is good for them and me, but I still have a tiny ache in my heart for the hugs and cuteness that would happen randomly through-out the days.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Aww! Which school is L going to? Which teacher does he have? Just curious cuz I just send a bunch of my preschoolers out into the world of Kinder, too. Thought maybe they were in the same place!

Tina said...

Oh, what an adjustment!!
I loved being with you yesterday!!
It was so fun. I'm glad today was a little better.
Did you end up making cookies?
Cloey has the same behavior system as well and she was soooo happy that she stayed on green all day yesterday. (smile)