Monday, August 2, 2010

On Vacation--Still

It's so much more fun to write about our vacation life than normal, everyday, do-the-laundry, cook-dinner, clean-up life. So here's more of our vacation.

After my folks' house, we got in the car and drove on more to see T's sister, J, and her hubby, M, and their daughter K. We also got to see T's little brother affectionately called Uncle Dorky. We hadn't seen everyone in a while, so it was so nice to see everyone.  It made leaving that much harder.  We caught up on everyone's lives, ate yummy food together, read fun books, played battleship and a little Wii, and had a piano concert. Wonderful!

T's sis, J and her daughter K. 

The kiddos loved their trampoline AND the cooler nights!

T and Uncle Dorky playing some ball. 

We got to see our old tromping ground--where T and I went to college, met, dated, married, and began our family.  So much had changed and grown. We took the kiddos to the BYU campus to give them a taste of college life.  

This is Maeser Elementary, the school I taught at for 4 years while the girls were babies. As a teacher we celebrated the school's 100th anniversary! It was old--and we had challenges with it's age--loud radiators clanging in the winter, old squeaky stairs with old brown carpet, ancient bathrooms that backed-up regularly, but it was very quaint. One of the classrooms had a chalkboard with Karl Maeser's chalk signature (the gentleman the school is named after) covered with glass. My last year teaching was the last year it was opened as a school.  It is elderly assisted apartments now. I had many emotions as we walked around. I learned so much during my time here. There were many good times and many challenges, as a teacher and as a young mother.
(The color is off in this picture. We hit a button on the camera)

This is the bench at the Provo temple we sat on before T proposed to me. 

MY story goes: we were sitting, admiring the temple. I was thinking/hoping he'd propose to me since we HAD gone ring-shopping that week, but he kept dropping hints at dinner that made it sound like he hadn't gotten the ring yet!  So I wasn't really sure. He kept admiring and admiring the temple and I kept waiting and wondering. Finally the grounds cleared of the other people, and he stood up and asked for a hug. "MY!" I exclaimed, "Your heart is beating a million miles a minute!" It was. He just smiled and kneeled down and asked, "Will you marry me?"  Of course, I said, "YES!" and the rest is history.

HIS story: Everything the same as mine up to the standing up and hugging part. Then he says I stepped on his toe and he knelt in pain over the injured toe and asked me, "Will you carry me?" I said, "Yes!" and being the gentleman he is, he didn't want me to feel bad, so he went along with the whole marrying FOR ETERNITY thing. What a sport!! 

We all know whose story to believe!



We also stopped by the apartments we lived in while T finished up school.  We had such a wonderful time living here. The girls had a little park right outside their window. We took this same picture of them when they were 3 and 4. Now they are so grown up and have some brothers in the bargain!



Climbing this rope use to take a 3 year old A. a long time. 
Now she zipped up it with her long legs!

   So long for now!

3 comments:

nikko said...

How fun to hear a little bit about your family's story. We love taking the kids around BYU campus when we're there, too. So fun to be one of "those old couples" dragging their kids around campus reminiscing about the "good old days". :o)

Meg said...

haha that is funny! I love the engagement proposal story!

Alison said...

Cute post!