Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Typical?? Family Dinner

Dinnertime at our house is an occasion of happy children and calm parents sitting together at the table with delicious smells tickling our noses and tempting our tummies while delightful, stimulating conversation rolls off our tongues.

OR...

"Dinner's ready!" grumps mom whose favorite place is NOT the kitchen.
No response. No eager feet running for the table.
"Dinner's ready--NOW!"
Stomping. Crashing. Running. Chairs are knocked. "I'm first!" "No, I'm first!" M-ahhh-mmmm, I was first!"
L, purses his lips, "I wanna snack. It's snack time. I don't LIKE dinner!"
X looks at dinner and crumples in his chair like a wilted dandelion. "I don't wwwaaannnntttt THAT!" he moans.
Then my good eater, B, pipes up. "Yay! Pasta! My favorite!" Oh, thank you, dear child.
We finally settle at the table. Dinner has cooled. Prayer is offered. Food is passed.
"You need to try at least one carrot, little man (L)", the food-police/mom urge.
"I don't like THAT!" L plops the carrot beside his plate, making his statement more emphatic.
Mom plops the carrot right back on the plate. Something orange sails across the table and gently sticks B's beloved pasta. B, not the most tolerant of her brother's antics, lets out a disgusted, "OOOO-ooo-OOO. Gross!" Her pasta has been tainted.
Across the table X and A are trying to make each other laugh by doing bunny ears to each other and telling Knock Knock jokes.
And T and I??? We just look at each with the letters D-A-T-E flashing across our eyes like the lights of an ambulance.

BUT...

family time is priceless
even if it comes with a cost.

4 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

that sounds like a normal funfilled family dinner
;)

Colleen said...

Our dinnertimes are just beginning to be a fight. J. used to be a good eater, but now many of his old favorites are slyly being dropped to the dog, who is happy to oblige. Or we hear "NO!" as we try to cram a bite into his tightly pressed lips. Or we get a faceful of food spit back at us. Hang in there! ;)

Natalie said...

How well I remember going from being a fabulous cook to only being able to cook yucky dinners.:)
Luckily, this FHE I prepared lemon bars and the entire group "Loved" them. "Sooouper, Sooouper" they said. "We love American cake."
In time all of your dinners will be yummy again.

I have a good life said...

Sounds completely normal to me. :) Life with kids is great, isn't it! :)